Initial Price: $3,400, equivalent to $7,126 in 2020
With the introduction of the INTEL 80486 processors back in 1989, COMPAQ equipped its Contura “All-in-One” notebook series 2820 with these faster chips. Also the 80486 had a mathematical co-processor integrated in the CPU.
- i486SX-S (SL enhanced 486SX) running at 25MHz
- Passive matrix gray scale VGA display, 16 shades (640×480) high resolution, 64 shades (320×200) low resolution, color capable when using an external VGA monitor.
- 4MB built-in memory, expandable to a maximum of 8MB or 12MB using an optional 4MB or 8MB Compaq branded module, or 20MB using a third party 16MB module.
- 256KB video memory
- 84MB, 170MB or 250MB hard disk drive
- 1 PCMCIA slot (Type II)
- 1 ECP/EPP 1.9 capable parallel port
- 1 RS-232 serial port (16550 UART)
- 1.5 x 10.25 x 7.5 inches (3.8 x 26 x 19 cm)
I bought this computer from Marktplaats Netherlands with 25 EURO + shipping. The computer came with its original bag and charger.
If you check out the gallery you will see that this computer has some navigation maps from ANDRoute 1996 of all Europe, EU of that time at least. The GPS module was connected via its parallel port and there you go! A primitive but fully working GPS navigation system!
Back in 2009 when I got it the computer was running fine.
In 2016 I had a vintage computer exhibition and this computer was running Lotus (video game) and it started to have a fishy smell and randomly shutting down. I instantly knew the capacitors needed replacement.
In 2020 when I opened the lid, the hinges were stuck and I broke the plastics around them… It was like a horror show.
I decided to replace the capacitors and fix the hinges
The problematic capacitors are both located on the internal power supply , on the voltage divider board. There is a 330uF at 25V and a 180uF at 16V. Once these are replaced, there is no more fishy smell and the computer stays ON.
The hinges needed some lubricant applied and also the plastic was restored using some epoxy based glue to rebuild the broken plastics.